Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

89052 Posts in 6187 Topics- by 8876 Members - Latest Member: CptSlowZ

August 23, 2014, 12:47:28 PM
The Official Anima ForumsAnima - Role Playing GameGame RulesSome questions from the French official forum
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33
Print
Author Topic: Some questions from the French official forum  (Read 65323 times)
VelvetRoom

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2007, 04:15:34 PM »

Hello everybody,
I come from the French official forum of Anima to receive some official answers.
As everybody on the french forum can't speak english and we know that the game developpers post here, we decided to gather questions and to post that here in hope to receive more clarifications.

So, I'm sorry for my english who can be a bit clumsy (and sorry if the terms are not the exact one, I just translated from the french book) and a really really big thanks for the future answers !!

1) When a weapon with a secondary mode based on energy (like heat, cold or electricity) deal damages, we deal damages with this secondary mode instead of the primary one. If a character with a complete immunity to heat but with no armor receive damages based on that kind of energy with a flaming sword (i.e). He will receive less or no damages at all because of the immunity to heat...but a blade is still a blade ? So is it possible for this immuned character to receive damages based on the primary mode of the weapon ?

2) What is the meaning of Quality of Flight ? When a character can fly, is it automatic ? Does this quality affect speed, or height,... (and how) ?

3) About rounding numbers...
If I have a 8 in Strength and I receive psychic power to augment strength by 5, what will be my strength ?

4) When I make a roll,the result must be "strictly more" or "strictly less" instead of "equal or more" or "equal or less" if it's not mentioned otherwise?

5) When I want to break an objet, I need to make a roll of breaking(?) higher than the solidity of that object. So I have two long swords clashing there is no way for each other to break the other (Breaking : 3; Solidity : 13), the only way to break each other is to use the bonus given by a higher strength ?

6) About Invulnerability...What are the damages deal when these damages get over the Invulnerability ? The full damages or the resulting difference ?
What about the damages deal against an object of Invulnerability 60
with 40 damages ?
60 damages ? (it's written less than the Invulnerability, so what are the damages when the damages are equals?)
90 damages ?

7) About Group of Weapons :
If I take a group of weapons (like ninja or gladiator), can I still have a weapon of my choice out of this group when I create my character ?

8 ) About Tao :
Somewhere in the book (sorry can't remember where), it's written that Tao must have barehands as a starting weapon ? If I don't take barehands, will I still received Martial Arts at a reduced cost ?

Anima Studio
Administrator

Anima Studio Staff

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 06:09:15 PM »

Hi Velvet. Welcome at last to the English forum.

We were following the French forum of Ubick from a few weeks, and we were waiting for you to finish the recompilations of questions.
We can read French, but I'm afraid that we are not quite good to be able to answer directly in French there, so thanks for this.

Let see what we can do with your questions ^^

"Extermination is your reward for opposing a God"

High Arbiter Alastor
Anima Studio
Administrator

Anima Studio Staff

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 07:04:52 PM »

1) When a weapon with a secondary mode based on energy (like heat, cold or electricity) deal damages, we deal damages with this secondary mode instead of the primary one. If a character with a complete immunity to heat but with no armor receive damages based on that kind of energy with a flaming sword (i.e). He will receive less or no damages at all because of the immunity to heat...but a blade is still a blade ? So is it possible for this immuned character to receive damages based on the primary mode of the weapon ?
The blade is still a blade, but it should depend if the "kind" of attack style the attacker is using. I mean, is you want to use the secondary Attack Type of a flaming sword and, therefore, attack using "fire", you are focusing in using the flames of the sword instead the blade. Therefore, someone immune to fire should not receive its damage.
Anyway, and this is a "house-rule", I would still apply half the damage of a physical "fire" attack, like that "fire sword".

2) What is the meaning of Quality of Flight ? When a character can fly, is it automatic ? Does this quality affect speed, or height,... (and how) ?
You mean Flight Speed Value? In that case, that is the speed he can "move" thought the air. It is equal to his Movement Speed Value.

3) About rounding numbers...
If I have a 8 in Strength and I receive psychic power to augment strength by 5, what will be my strength ?
Since all the augment over 10 are halved, and you need 2 points to get a +1, you would have Strength 11.

4) When I make a roll,the result must be "strictly more" or "strictly less" instead of "equal or more" or "equal or less" if it's not mentioned otherwise?
Sorry, I don't undertand this question.

5) When I want to break an objet, I need to make a roll of breaking(?) higher than the solidity of that object. So I have two long swords clashing there is no way for each other to break the other (Breaking : 3; Solidity : 13), the only way to break each other is to use the bonus given by a higher strength ?
Yes; it is more or less stated that normal swords hold by "low" strength people are not usually able to break themselves.

6) About Invulnerability...What are the damages deal when these damages get over the Invulnerability ? The full damages or the resulting difference ?
with 40 damages ?
Invulnerability? I suppose you are referring to Damage Resistance.
In that case, it is always the Base Damage of the Attack.
For example, something with a Damage Resistance of 40 would ignore any attack with a BASE DAMAGE of 35 or less.
I mean… a simple dagger used by a normal man would never be able to cut a metal wall ^^.

7) About Group of Weapons :
If I take a group of weapons (like ninja or gladiator), can I still have a weapon of my choice out of this group when I create my character ?
Sure; why not? You are paying its value in PD as an additional knowledge ^_^

8 ) About Tao :
Somewhere in the book (sorry can't remember where), it's written that Tao must have barehands as a starting weapon ? If I don't take barehands, will I still received Martial Arts at a reduced cost ?
I don't think that in any place of the book it is established that any Category, including the Tao, "must" use a weapon as an established one.
Of course, you can use any weapon that you want instead "barehands".

I hope I was of some help ^^

High Arbiter Alastor
exarkfr

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 04:34:57 AM »

---
You mean Flight Speed Value? In that case, that is the speed he can "move" thought the air. It is equal to his Movement Speed Value.

well, the word used in French is "qualité" (= quality), not "vitesse" (= speed)

it's that word that appears in table 40, combat modifiers :
"Qualité de Vol 7-14   Attaque+10   Parade+10   Esquive+10"
="Flight Quality 7-14   Attack+10   Block+10    Dodge+10"

Can you fly up/down at the written speed ? can you turn as you wish ? do you have to move at full speed ? can you just hover ? how about backward move ?

---
Sorry, I don't undertand this question.

When you are asked to roll "greater than X", is it :
    roll > X
or  roll >= X

---
Yes; it is more or less stated that normal swords hold by "low" strength people are not usually able to break themselves.

the example in the book seems to imply that you have to roll "greater or equal than" Solidity. And no just "greater" as said by the rules

with 40 damages ?
---
Invulnerability? I suppose you are referring to Damage Resistance.
In that case, it is always the Base Damage of the Attack.
For example, something with a Damage Resistance of 40 would ignore any attack with a BASE DAMAGE of 35 or less.
I mean… a simple dagger used by a normal man would never be able to cut a metal wall ^^.

And if that something with Damage Resistance of 40 suffers from an attack with base damage of 50 ? does it lose 50 structure points, or 50-40=10 ?

Furthermore. You compare Base Damage with Damage Resistance to determine whether you can damage the object; but you still make an Attack roll against it to determine final damage (with the object having no Defense most of the time) ?

8 ) About Tao :
---
I don't think that in any place of the book it is established that any Category, including the Tao, "must" use a weapon as an established one.
Of course, you can use any weapon that you want instead "barehands".

on that point...  the rules about martial arts say that when you learn one, you can fight bare-handed with no penalty to Attack or Block; that martial arts are, in a way, the same as a weapon module for barehands. And if you chose barehands as your starting weapon, you get a discount on your first art (discount which equals the cost of learning to fight bare-handed).

So if a Tao chooses a sword (for example) as a starting weapon (free), and learns Shotokan (for 10 points), does he fight with no penalties with both the sword and his barehands ?

I hope I was of some help ^^

Sure it did, although having rules in different languages is a bit awkward Smiley
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 05:08:37 AM by exarkfr » Logged
Anima Studio
Administrator

Anima Studio Staff

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 07:07:02 AM »

Hi exarkfr. Welcome to the forum ^^

Can you fly up/down at the written speed ? can you turn as you wish ? do you have to move at full speed ? can you just hover ? how about backward move ?

With just the fact of being able to fly at that speed and having enough "aerial" space to be able to move freely, you obtains those bonuses ^^

Equal or greater.

And if that something with Damage Resistance of 40 suffers from an attack with base damage of 50 ? does it lose 50 structure points, or 50-40=10 ?
In that case, you simply ignore the Damage Resistance. I meant, if you are attacked by something with Damage 50 and you have Damage Resistance 40, the attack ignores your Resistance.

Furthermore. You compare Base Damage with Damage Resistance to determine whether you can damage the object; but you still make an Attack roll against it to determine final damage (with the object having no Defense most of the time) ?
You meat things like walls or so? (The things in the chapter 14 / pag 220)
Yes; you still attack them, because if you damage is able to damage it, then and only then is when your combat skill is useful against those things ^^

We hope to see you again here soon too ^^

High Arbiter Alastor
exarkfr

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 08:17:52 AM »

Hi exarkfr. Welcome to the forum ^^

Thanks for the welcome
and for the answers Smiley

---
Equal or greater.

I just have to ask, but.... what for "lower than X" ? (when creating a character, you reroll results lower than 4)

We hope to see you again here soon too ^^

Is that soon enough ?  Grin

Useful answers, thanks again
Anima Studio
Administrator

Anima Studio Staff

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 08:47:38 AM »

I just have to ask, but.... what for "lower than X" ? (when creating a character, you reroll results lower than 4)
Just lower; in your example, a 4 would be admitted.

Is that soon enough ?
Yes ^___^

High Arbiter Alastor
exarkfr

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 09:07:35 AM »

Well, you're fast  Cheesy

OK then... to sum everything up :

"greater" is "greater or equal"
"lower" is just "lower"
you "round down"
Damage Resistance is 'all or nothing' Smiley
the "flight quality" is a "flight speed"

Will put a note in my book (and convey those answers to the French boards)

Seems that one point remains though :
Does the Tao get his martial arts for 20 points (and 10 for the first) even if he doesn't choose to fight bare-handed ? Does buying a martial art make you proficient at fighting bare-handed with no penalty (ie : does Celia, in the character creation example, who chose a cutlass as her starting weapon and bought a martial art, get to make bare-handed attacks without the -60 non-proficiency modifier to her Attack ?)

(long sentence I made there, is that clear ?)
Sable

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 04:42:15 AM »

If a Tao gets a sword as his free weapon of choice, then he has to pay 20 points instead of 10 for the first martial art he learns.

Anima Studio
Administrator

Anima Studio Staff

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 11:09:05 AM »

Is just as Sable said. ^^

High Arbiter Alastor
exarkfr

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 02:43:03 PM »

thanks.

the mistake cae from my way of reading the paragraph, then Smiley
exarkfr

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 01:31:17 AM »

OK, here's a new one (though this one is more about something missing from the book) :

What are the prices of the different helmets ? we have those for the armours and the shields, but no helmets Sad
Anima Studio
Administrator

Anima Studio Staff

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 02:18:44 AM »

They should appear in the Web Addeamdum, don't they?

High Arbiter Alastor
exarkfr

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 03:25:33 AM »

I haven't seen them inside :

there's a FAQ, a new cryo power, an artifact, ki techniques, a bestiary and a spell index.

Is there another web addendum ?
Anima Studio
Administrator

Anima Studio Staff

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 03:38:58 AM »

Not in French, since the Web Addendum 2 is based unto the Ki Domains and Gaïa (and those books are not released in France).

High Arbiter Alastor
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by padexx