Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

88513 Posts in 6163 Topics- by 8860 Members - Latest Member: Aaronguetteert

July 23, 2014, 09:20:47 PM
The Official Anima ForumsAnima - Role Playing GameGame RulesA few noob questions
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A few noob questions  (Read 538 times)
Vash787

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2012, 01:52:16 AM »

Hello everyone. I just recently bought the Anima core book and GM Kit. I am really loving the system so far, so much so that I have already ordered the bestiary even though I haven't finished the core book yet. Anyways, today I finished the player section of the book and I had a few noobie questions. I apologize if these are addressed in the GM section and I just overlooked it.

First, I had a couple questions about weapons. Can the character pick any weapon as a starting weapon, such as an arquebus? Also, are these starter weapons free or, in the case of the arquebus, would the character have to spend 500GC? Also, is this starter weapon considered a module, and if so could a charecter take an archetypical module at a discount instead? My last weapon question is is the DP you spend on modules from your allotted attack pool or your secondary dp?

My next questions are about ki. I have read on the forums that a person with ki detection plus erudition can completely negate the blind penalties. This is nice because I would love to play the blind swordsman type of character. However, I have seen some posts were people say that things like arrows would still be "invisible" to the blind ki user. But, on page 94 the book talks about the origin of ki, and it mentions that things like stones also have souls. My question is, does this mean a stone has ki even though it might not completely "blend their body and soul?" And, if things like stones do have ki, could a blind ki user see an arrow coming at him, or a sword, etc.?

Also, I wanted to know if you roll to use ki detection or erudition, or if it just treats your final ability score as your role. For instance, would a person who's score is 120 always see 30 feet, or do they roll and add 120 to the roll? Also if you do need to roll, how often do you need to roll to say that you are always using it? After all, this is how my character would "see?"

Finally, the text for the technique Ki Transmission is a little vague. I understand that two people with this technique can exchange their ki points. But what about people that don't have it, can you forcefully take their ki? Do you need to be touching? Can you gather ki from nature like Goku from DBZ forming a spirit bomb?

Sorry for the very long noob questions. Once again I apologize if the answers to any of these are under my nose and just overlooked. Thank you for reading my post.
Sharpandpointies

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 09:36:37 AM »

First, I had a couple questions about weapons. Can the character pick any weapon as a starting weapon, such as an arquebus? Also, are these starter weapons free or, in the case of the arquebus, would the character have to spend 500GC? Also, is this starter weapon considered a module, and if so could a charecter take an archetypical module at a discount instead? My last weapon question is is the DP you spend on modules from your allotted attack pool or your secondary dp?

Hello, Vash.

1.  You can certainly pick any weapon, though I would ask for reasons myself (having a street-rat type character know how to use an Arquebus is...odd, but possible).  Starter weapons CAN be free, but I think that's up to the GM.  If someone starts with skill in Arquebus, for example, the GM should decide if they SHOULD have one based on their background and social position.  Someone dirt-poor?  No.

2.  Yes, modules, like martial arts and Ki, are paid for by Primary Combat.

My next questions are about ki. I have read on the forums that a person with ki detection plus erudition can completely negate the blind penalties. This is nice because I would love to play the blind swordsman type of character. However, I have seen some posts were people say that things like arrows would still be "invisible" to the blind ki user. But, on page 94 the book talks about the origin of ki, and it mentions that things like stones also have souls. My question is, does this mean a stone has ki even though it might not completely "blend their body and soul?" And, if things like stones do have ki, could a blind ki user see an arrow coming at him, or a sword, etc.?

My vote on that is yes.  Intent has part of it - the blind character could see the intent of the person loosing the arrow at the moment of loosing, and yes, if all things carry some kind of ki they should be able to sense the arrows.

It's really up to the GM, though.

Also, I wanted to know if you roll to use ki detection or erudition, or if it just treats your final ability score as your role. For instance, would a person who's score is 120 always see 30 feet, or do they roll and add 120 to the roll? Also if you do need to roll, how often do you need to roll to say that you are always using it? After all, this is how my character would "see?"

This one has come up.

For me, I take the base level as a constant for someone just walking around, and ask them to make notice rolls to pick up stuff in that radius if they're not paying attention (so yes, it's possible for someone they know to wander through their 'sense' radius without being spotted, just like it's possible for someone to wander through a field of vision without being recognized if the person isn't paying attention).  If the character FOCUSES, they add the dice roll in to expand their radius, and also have a better chance of 'spotting' stuff they know or stuff that's going on.

Other people have different viewpoints.

Finally, the text for the technique Ki Transmission is a little vague. I understand that two people with this technique can exchange their ki points. But what about people that don't have it, can you forcefully take their ki? Do you need to be touching? Can you gather ki from nature like Goku from DBZ forming a spirit bomb?

My Ruling - someone with Ki Transmission can give to someone else, that's it (because the rules specifically state that it requires two people with the ability to 'exchange' points freely).  They can't TAKE from someone (that's an actual Ki Dominion from Dominus Exxet).  They also can't pick it up from nature, either, DBZ style.  And yes, I would say they would have to be touching. 

Sorry for the very long noob questions. Once again I apologize if the answers to any of these are under my nose and just overlooked. Thank you for reading my post.

No worries, man.  Welcome to the boards.  :)

Also the problem is that every time someone pulls such a combo he gets killed by some kind of Lazarus or such.
- Lizbeth

...I would be strongly inclined to thwap them with a rolled up newspaper.
- vytzka
Vash787

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 02:33:02 PM »

Thanks that really cleared some things up for me. I have a couple more questions just to clarify some things if you don't mind.

So if I took katana as my starting weapon, could I buy the ninja module for less dp? or if I just wanted that module from the start do you get it for half dp like martial arts?

OK one more question about ki detection. If a character chooses to roll his ki detection during combat, does he need to reroll every turn, or is the range he gets good for the whole battle. Also is Ki detection considered an active or passive secondary ability in combat?

Thanks again for all the help. I am the only person I know that owns Anima, so unfortunately I might end up GMing it before I ever get a chance to play it lol. So I want to get a good grasp of the rules.
alphawhelp

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 07:44:19 PM »

a few clarifications from your original post

#1. Ki Detection + Erudition does not completely negate blind penalties, the rules for how Ki Detection + Erudition function versus opponents you cannot see is detailed in Dominus Exxet. (exact rule at bottom of this post)

#2. Ki Detection is definitely rolled, we already have several examples of rules that call for Ki Detection rolls.  Erudition is not a secondary ability, but an enhancement to your Ki Detection ability which is rolled.

#3. Ki Transmission people can donate to anyone but they must touch.

To answer your new questions...

RAW you do not receive a discount for weapon modules if you already know some of the weapons in the module.  You may want to talk to your GM about giving you a discount equal to the total amount of DP you've spent in weapons from that module which sounds reasonable, me, personally, I'd pick a weapon that wasn't in the module at all and then buy the module anyway.

According to Dominus Exxet, if a character with Erudition succeeds at a Ki Detection roll by greater than 40 points over the opponent, he is considered to be seeing him at every moment.  If you have less than that, it is a little vague, me personally as a GM, to make combat go by faster, I would entitle the Ki Detector a single roll, success means you see, failure means you are blinded the rest of the combat, if they succeeded by more than 40 and have Erudition, they would also get all the additional benefits that Dominus Exxet says they get.

Ki Detection / Concealment are always passive abilities.

If a character has the ability Ki Detection and makes a successful roll for detection, he can have an approximate idea of the position of his antagonist, although he cannot see the enemy's every movement.  Consequently, he applies the penalty of Partial Blindness in place of the one for Absolute Blindness against an invisible adversary, diminishing by half the penalties for suffering or making attacks on the Flank and From Behind.  If he has the ability of Ki Erudition and passes the difficulty roll required for detection by at least 40 points, he is considered to be "seeing" his enemy at every moment.  Similarly, such a character does not apply any kind of penalty for Blindness against invisible enemies, he eliminates the negative for suffering or making Flank attacks, and reduces to -20 the penalty for defending himself against or attacking adversaries located to his back.

(pg 9 Dominus Exxet)
Vash787

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 12:52:02 AM »

Cool, thanks for clearing that up. Now I just need to find people to play the game with lol.  Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by padexx